Friday, January 1, 2010

More Newtons. More running.

Today (a Thursday) I had a great tempo run.  Tuesday and Wednesday had put a total of 24 mi of moderate pace work in, so I was a bit slow to warm up.  It took me a couple miles to get to my ~8:15 pace.  After 4 mi came the tempo part.  I was kind of looking forward to this because over the last couple of weeks, I've finally felt like I REALLY had a good-feeling stride down with the Newtons, particularly when running faster.  Faster turnover, lighter touch, etc.

It turned out that the tempo section wasn't exceptionally FAST (averaging a few seconds slower than 7:00/mi), but my HR was very low for that pace.  The average for 5 mi was 149 bpm.  Pretty cool.  Must be doing something a little more efficiently these days.  Possibly a bit of fatigue from the previous two days kept the pace a little slower than it might have been.  Hard to say.



This also gets me back to the Newtons.  As you read about them on line, a common (and reasonable) complaint about them is the very high cost.  They list for $175, which is about $50 more than other "high end" shoes usually go for.  (Obviously if you shop around enough, you can get a 10-20% discount, but that brand hardly ever goes on sale - it's usually a store-wide sale.)

As of today, I have 476 miles on my first pair of Newtons, and I took the following photos a few days ago, when the total was 440.  You can click to enlarge.


 


The left image shows the wear pattern on the more-worn shoe.  The inner lugs are more worn than the outer ones, but 1.0-1.5 mm of rubber remains on the front of the more worn lugs.  The red/orange coating on the toe area is starting to bleed through to the yellow beneath.  I haven't detailed the photo, but there is some visible wear on the far outside of both heels, but it's the kind of wear you'd see for <50 miles on a normal pair of shoes.  (This is kind of a funny place near the break of the black area - further to the outside than the typical heel-striking spot...can't figure out exactly what it's from.)

Supposedly, there's not much on the "inside" of these shoes to wear out, like a normal foam midsole on a typical running shoe, i.e., they "wear from the outside in".  If that is really the case, I could easily get 600 miles out of these before the front lugs wear down to the ground.  Granted, a large fraction of this running has been indoors, but that kind of total is double what I've been getting for other shoes.  If i can get 600 mi on a $175-list shoe - all other issues of stride/technique/etc aside - it's a bargain.

Do you wear these shoes?  If so, what kind of mileage do you get out of them?  When do you replace them?  How does the wear compare to your previous shoes?

No comments: