Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Season assessment

So what to make of this season?

The positives:
  • IM KS 70.3 was a breakthrough race. My time of 5:08 was great, and I think I can/could do better. It made me think sub-5:00 is possible.
  • I raced fairly well at my non-tapered Olympic and sprint races. Bike splits were up, and run splits were at least in line with last year.
  • I recognized a bad swim problem early in the season and overcame it. My swims still weren't going to knock anyone's socks off, but I got them back at least where they should be.
  • I learned that maybe I can deal with a little less nutrition than some people recommend. It's less that this is a good fact than that knowing it is a good fact. For Olympic distances, I will no longer worry about anything other than using gatorade (or whatever) on the bike and having a gel or two available for the start and halfway point of the run. For HIM, something like 700-800 bike calories ought to be more than sufficient, not 1000+. Fewer calories = less likely for tummy issues. For IM, again, just keeping it at the lean end of recommendations will work for me.
  • I showed mental strength and discipline in my IM. I didn't reach my ultimate goal, but I coped well with what happened to me.
  • I set a new Olympic PR of 2:23 at Big Creek.
The disappointments
  • Once again, I got hit a bit hard by the Pigman, this time with GI issues that caused (or at least accompanied) a bonk. My result was disappointing. I owe that course something.
  • My run blowup in the opening minutes of IM was a disappointment. I don't know how else to put that. I feel like I was in shape to do better, but that the virus and heat got the better of me. Other people had to deal with the heat and did. So I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed that I don't get to try to redeem myself, but I also know that taking the long view on that is the only way to do better.
  • Despite working on my stroke in the winter, my swim didn't really improve much. I still need to work on how to balance effort and technique.

Overall, a very good year, and a fun one. Looking forward to the next.

No comments: