Tuesday, October 6, 2009

More Newtons. About a week

The pain from last week's runs had me worried.  I wrote to a friend, Rachelle, who uses them, and she scolded me something good for doing too much running in the first place after the IM.  She also informed me that my sore spot was my soleus and told me in nice, but firm terms to back off, buddy, and take it easy.  I hate that.

But she was probably right.  If I weren't doing the Newton thing, I think I'd be running more/longer by now, because I've just run so long that I do believe in the easy aerobic recovery run, at least for me.  But with the Newton thing, I needed to back off.

I have since done three more runs on them, two very short, and today back up to ~3.5 miles.  So sad, given what I was doing!  But I'll build up slowly but surely again, and my groin seems to think the bike isn't so bad any more.  (Maybe that borrowed saddle?)  I've also taken a couple pretty close to complete days off.  They were almost required by scheduling of soccer tournaments and the like, but they were also probably good for me.

So today's report is that run 5 was 28 minutes indoors, and felt much better than either of the first two.  I can feel a bit of soleus fatigue, but it's not bad.  I did not push the distance past this because I didn't want to hurt myself again.  Trying to work out in my mind whether high repetitions or time off followed by longer is better.  I will probably try a combination:  near-daily very short runs and extend one every few days a bit.  No speed yet, and not for a while.  It's all comfortable 8:00-8:15 type pace.

1 comment:

LittleRachet said...

Glad to see things coming around and slowing down a bit!!! You'll look back and be glad you did!

BTW - Thanks for the donation!!!