Saturday, October 31, 2009

NYC Marathon: map and memories

The NYTimes has a pretty cool interactive map of the New York Marathon course.

Of course, I'm not running it this year, but it made me think about the course and the race.  Some memories:


  • The pre-race "infinite pee trough" in the holding pen that can be seen by the trains going by.  (Or at least could be a long time ago...)
  • The first mile up the bridge coming out of Staten Island.  All uphill, but you never notice with all the people around you.  It took me 3.5 minutes to get to the starting line in my first race, and there were no timing chips, so my 3:30 finish was only recorded on my watch...It was 3:33:30 or so in the books.
  • The second mile down the bridge.  Can you believe a bridge is 2 miles long?  The crowd thinned for me here. Still crowded, but not nearly as bad.
  • From right there at the bottom of the bridge - the crowds.  As you move from neighborhood to neighborhood, how the crowds change - in level of noise, manner of dress, everything.  Such an amazing city.
  • The Queensboro Bridge.  Carpeting over grates at about mile 17 or so.  Not such a comfortable run at that point, but the crowds on the other side!
  • Finally coming into Central Park with about 4 miles to go.  Like coming home.  
  • WHY ARE THEY MAKING ME LEAVE THE PARK TO GO ON 59TH STREET!  I KNOW IT'S ONLY AN EXTRA 50 YARDS OR SOMETHING BUT I DON'T WANT TO GO!  I WANT TO TURN HERE AND STAY ON THE PATH!
  • Gosh darn, I hate all this irregular pavement and stuff to get back on the Park path.  WHY COULDN'T I HAVE JUST STAYED ON THE PARK PATH IN THE FIRST PLACE!  
  • Almost there, and then a great finish line.

The NY Times map is like a time lapse photo sequence taken from a car, except for the parts on the Central Park path.  It can't do the course justice, because the course is about the people at least as much as the scenery, and it's just a business day in NYC.  But this is still a cool link.  Have a look.

No comments: